German Swiss International School
At the beginning of 1966, the RMS Swiss School was founded in Accra, Ghana, thanks to the enormous initiative of the Swiss colony in Ghana. Special mention should be made of the Gottfried and Marianne Bolleter, who played a major role as local businessmen in the construction of the school.
The Swiss School in Accra bears its name in memory of the Swiss missionary Friedrich August Ramseyer, who worked for the “Gold Coast” for 44 years from 1864 onwards. He first worked as a supervisor of construction works in Accra (then Christiansborg). Considering the health of his wife, he had to be transferred after three years. First, he was entrusted with the school in Akropong, later he should take over the mission station in Anum. Meanwhile, in the south, the war of the British and southern tribes against the Ashanti erupted. FA Ramseyer was taken to Kumasi with his family as a prisoner and released only after 5 years. A little bit of Switzerland in the middle of Africa
The founders of the school saw their goal was to ensure the numerous Swiss children in Ghana, a, the Swiss standard adapted school education and thus a transfer to a secondary school in the home. In order to really live up to this goal, the upper secondary school was soon run as a secondary school.
The school started in 1966 with only 23 students and 2 teachers. Throughout the years, the RMS Swiss School has never grown into a big school. Family atmosphere and individuality in the classroom have always been important. In order for the children to attend classes, they were driven over and over again over enormous distances on incredibly bad roads to the schools. A small, hostel-hosted hostel has been offering children from more remote regions praised school accommodation throughout the years. The school affiliated with the kindergarten is also always a nursery for 1-3 year old children. It will be held today in German and English and also offers parents of other nations the opportunity to bring their children into regular contact with their peers at an early age.
As part of the mobility of modern society, the Swiss school Accra is subject to frequent change. The class levels and thus the total number of students vary. Children come, children go. The school has to offer more to pupils than mere education; it is not just a place of learning. In Ghana, the school embodies the everyday life of children par excellence. The unlimited leisure facilities of Europe are unimaginable here. The comrades in the school are often the only friends who have the children.
The RMS Swiss School Accra had every reason to celebrate the 30th anniversary in 1996 with a corresponding party, because the renovation work, which lasted two years and brought a lot of restlessness and complications to school, was finally over.
Why was the only Swiss school on the continent Africa? On the one hand, this may be linked to the long-standing tradition of the Basel Mission, which had its permanent representations in Ghana very early on. In fact, Ghana was a well-known country in Switzerland and soon Swiss businessmen found their way here. On the other hand, Ghana became the first African nation to gain independence as early as 1957, and was always relatively stable politically compared to other African states. Until 2008, the RMS Swiss School was not a school for locals. It was clearly designed for German-speaking children. The language of instruction German, the Zurich syllabus and the school conditions adapted to the Swiss standard were tailored to Europeans. Since a German school is missing in Ghana, a large proportion of students are of German and Austrian nationality.
327 total views, 1 today